Ping pong is a fast-paced, exciting game that can be played by anyone, at any age. It’s an excellent way to get in shape and improve your hand-eye coordination. If you’re interested in picking up this game, you’ll need to equip yourself with the right ping pong paddle.
Choosing a ping pong paddle for your style of play is essential to improve your game. A good paddle will help you to play better and enjoy the game more. Simple as that. With so many on the market, though, how do you choose? We’ll have a look at things to consider and review five of our best ping pong and table tennis paddles to suit your enjoyment.
Why Invest in a New Ping Pong Paddle?
Whether you’re a beginner, intermediate, or expert ping pong player, choosing the right paddle is the only way to assure you improved performance. A new paddle allows you to customize it to your level of expertise and play style.
If you can customize every aspect of the paddle, go for it. It’ll cost a little more, but the result will be worth it. You can pick the best blade, handle, glue, grip, side tape, and rubber separately then assemble them to create a paddle that suits your play style.
Alternatively, if you don’t have the time, you can pick the best ping pong paddles from already manufactured brands. These paddles are designed to suit different expertise levels and play styles.
Our Best 5 Ping Pong Paddles
Whether you’re an expert or a beginner, going for the best ping pong paddle that suits your gameplay will ensure that you enjoy the game more. Beginners can opt for an affordable option but highly reliable paddle that enables them to enhance their gaming experience acquire new skills. As such, an all-around paddle is key for beginners.
We’ve sampled five of the best ping pong paddles that both beginners and expert ping players can use for elevated gameplay.
1. Butterfly Timo Ball Shakehand Ping Pong Paddle
- BUTTERFLY TABLE TENNIS RACKET – The Timo Boll table tennis racket series is contains aggressive rubber and 2 ping pong balls
- GREAT TABLE TENNIS RUBBER - The Pan Asia table tennis racket rubber provides a good balance of speed and spin when striking the ping pong ball
- 5 MODELS – Each ping pong paddle has different sponge and rubber thicknesses. See the description for differences in the ping pong racket speeds and thicknesses
The Butterfly Timo Ball Shakehand Ping Pong Paddle is an entry-level paddle for those who want to kickstart their ping pong expertise. It’s a five-ply wood blade paddle with a thin rubber surface of 1.5mm and flared handle to provide an excellent grip.
Apart from being ideal for starters, the paddle performs well among intermediate players, which is why it’s also tournament-approved.
2. STIGA Titan Table Tennis Paddle
- Performance-Level Table Tennis Racket
- ITTF Approved Inverted Tournament Rubber
- Crystal Technology Hardens Blade for Increased Speed
If you’re a beginner looking to build your expertise around speed, then the STIGA Titan ping pong paddle is your best bet. It features a hardened surface with a 2mm thick sponge surface to deliver improved speed.
The handle is a concave Italian composite type to give you a superb grip. This, combined with the tough play surface, can give you a great kickstart to your ping pong gaming experience.
3. STIGA Raptor Table Tennis Racket
- STIGA – Building world champions since 1944. The world’s highest quality table tennis brand.
- BUILT FOR COMPETITION – STIGA's Nano Composite and ACS Technology forms stronger and tighter bonds in the ITTF approved smooth inverted S5 rubber for high speed and spin with maximum elasticity and outstanding control—the perfect racket for tournament played rubber for tournament play
- SUPERIOR TECHNOLOGY – This racket unites STIGA's Crystal and WRB Technologies for a hardened, light blade with faster returns, more power, and extra sensitivity of touch.
After enhancing your skills and you’ve graduated to the intermediate level, you’d want to also upgrade your ping pong paddle. The best ping pong paddle for intermediate players is the STIGA Raptor, featuring a carbon surface for improved control and speed.
The paddle has a 3.25-inch handle to deliver a snug grip and weighs only 0.47 lbs. to give you swing flexibility. It’s a 7-ply paddle with a 2mm rubber width to give you both control and speed. it’s a perfect option for intermediate players who want to advance both ping pong speed and control.
4. Joola Omega Strata Table Tennis Racket
- JOOLA - AN OLYMPIC TABLE TENNIS BRAND TRUSTED FOR 60+ YEARS: Launched in the 1950s, JOOLA has been the proud sponsor of the biggest tournaments in the world, Including the Olympics, World Championships, and US Open. Equipment designed for all levels.
- COLOR ME A WINNER: The color & design of the JOOLA Omega Series Strata Ping Pong Racket meets all the elements of a professional blade and rubber to elevate your game in style. Excellent table tennis paddle for kids and adults.
- DESIGNED FOR CREATING MORE SPIN ON THE BALL: The thicker 2. 0mm sponge on the Vizon table tennis rubber provides steady control and when combined with a fast and lightweight ping pong paddle, makes for a balanced game of offense and defense.
If you want to enhance your competitive performance, the Joola Omega Strata ping pong paddle is an excellent choice. it’s perfectly designed to offer great grip and control for an aggressive playing style. the 5-ply paddle is made of real wood and features other materials to provide excellent performance for intermediate players.
The play surface features a 2mm rubber that’s ITTF approved, a sponge on its handle for a steady grip, great control, and excellent balance. Joola Omega Strata is the ideal ping pong paddle for those seeking advanced-level expertise.
5. Killerspin Jet800 SPEED N2 Ping Pong Paddle
- Professional Grade Paddle: Designed With The Serious Player In Mind, This Ittf-Approved Paddle Provides Exceptional Grip On Ball Strikes And Heavy Spin On Serves
- Superior Construction: Blade Consists Of 7-Ply Composite Wood And Carbon Fiber For Extra Pop, While Professional Grade Nitrx-4Z Rubbers Provide Enhanced Accuracy
- Ideal Ratings: Features Ratings Of Control: 7;5, Spin: 9, Power: 9, Ideal For An Aggressive Play Style
Advanced level ping pong players need an all-around paddle that can perform to a tournament level. The Killerspin Jet800 SPEED N2 ping pong paddle can provide a superior spin, extreme speed, and superb control that highly aggressive players seek.
The blade features top-grade Nitrx 4Z rubbers for enhanced accuracy. The paddle has a control rating of 7.5, spin rating of 9, and power rating of 9 to provide aggressive play. Killerspin Jet800 is a 7-ply paddle consisting of 5 wood layers and 2 carbon composite layers to deliver top performance at a tournament level.
Things to Consider When Buying a Ping Pong Paddle
When it comes to picking a ping pong paddle, there isn’t a standard one fits all kind of paddle. Your choice of the paddle will most likely be different from your friend’s. and will depend on several factors such as playstyle and the match circumstances.
Your choice of ping pong paddle is a matter of individual preference and expertise level. Here are five aspects to consider when shopping for the best ping pong paddle that matches your needs.
Detached vs Attached Rubber
To begin with, a ping pong paddle has two parts; the rubber and the blade. The blade makes the wooden core covered by the rubber. Staunch table tennis players often buy the rubber and the blade separately.
Taking that route allows you to custom make a paddle that matches your playstyle. In most cases, blades with already attached rubber are simply generic and might not offer any upper advantage when playing.
The Paddle Grip
Your paddle grip is entirely dependent on the paddle’s shape. Whether going for a shakehold or a penhold, you’ll always find a paddle that snugly fits your hands. If it fits your hands like a glove, it’s good to go. An excellent grip lets you become one with the paddle hence you’ll control the ping pong with more ease and flexibility.
Ping pong paddles come with differing ply levels, ranging between 3 and 7 wood plies. Generally, thicker paddles have a tougher surface hence deliver faster gameplay but will deny you a certain level of control due to the wood’s natural rebound property.
Thinner paddles deliver more flexibility, providing better control and slow gameplay. A 5 ply paddle is the best if your play involves looping a lot. If practicing driving and blocking, go for a 7-ply paddle.
Single or Double-Sided Playing Surface
A Ping pong paddle can either be double or single-sided with rubber. A double-sided playing surface with rubber allows you to play while switching the surfaces depending on your game situation. In other words, double-sided paddles offer more options and enhanced flexibility, and when it comes to ping pong, more options are better.
Just like the blade thickness, the rubber thickness also affects how the ping pong ball reacts to the paddle shots. A thick rubber surface will give improved speed but will sacrifice the control aspect. Thinner rubber will give improved control but cuts on the speed of the ball.
Generally, when considering the rubber thickness, you’ll have to create a balance between control and speed. if you like to play offensively, choose a thicker rubber to give your opponent aggressive gameplay.
As many people think, a good ping pong paddle doesn’t have to be expensive. The price shouldn’t be much of a consideration if you aim to enhance your skill level in either table tennis or ping pong. Buy one to match your budget as well as your playing style and gives you room for improving your game consistency and skill. Finally, be sure your table is in good shape. It would be frustrating when trying to improve your game if your table isn’t in good order.