Everyone has their favorite drink, but one thing is standard across the board – everyone likes their cold drink. That’s why having an ice machine in your home bar is an excellent way of ensuring everybody’s needs are sorted. Using ice molds or keeping a bag of ice is a thing of the past. Ice makers eliminate the burden, because you want to enjoy drinks with friends and family.
Ice makers for home bar use are available in two categories – the countertop and under-counter models. The countertop types are small, lightweight, and built-in, while the under-counter ice makers fit alongside wine coolers and other home appliances.
Why do you need an Ice Maker?
Ice gives your drink a smooth, satisfying taste, and having a quick and efficient way of producing the ice in your home bar guarantees hassle-free enjoyment.
If you like to entertain family or guests, an ice maker gives you the freedom to have ice anytime you need it. That eliminates lots of stress in buying bags of ice from outlets and storing them in freezers for as long as required.
They also occupy very little space, leaving you with plenty of room to keep other appliances. It is a great lifesaver if space is a luxury you can’t afford.
In the long run, the ice maker saves you the electricity bills that go into keeping a freezer running for days.
Our Best 5 Ice Makers for the Home Bar
With so many models and types of ice makers available, finding one that perfectly fits your home bar needs can be daunting. Our five best ice makers for home bars can help you narrow down your options to find something that serves the purpose right without breaking the bank.
1. NewAir 50 Pound Portable Ice Maker
- Makes up to 50 pounds of ice per day
- Makes up to 12 pieces of ice in as little as 7 minutes
- Automatic shut off & overflow protection
NewAir also allows you to choose from three sizes of ice and set an 18-hour time scheduler to produce ice when you want. The indicator lights notify the user when ice fills the detachable ice bin or when more water is needed.
- It takes a shorter time
- Produces large ice capacity, up to 50 pounds per day
- It’s silent
- Self-cleaning with a timer
- Bulky and heavy
2. Frigidaire EFIC189-Silver Compact Ice Maker
- LARGE SEE-THROUGH WINDOW ALLOWS FOR PROCESS MONITORING & ICE LEVEL CHECKING
- COMPRESSOR COOLING
- ICE IN LESS THAN 6 MINUTES
Frigidaire can produce 9 ice cube batches with a bullet shape in 6 minutes only, ideal for three simple cold drinks. This ice maker can make 1 lb of ice in an hour, making it a great and efficient choice.
This ice maker is also ETL certified and offers two options of ice sizes: small and medium, giving you a choice of options for your favorite drinks. With its 2-liter water tank capacity, you’ll get up to 1.5 pounds.
- High efficiency, making 1 lb of ice in an hour
- Compact and lightweight
- Convenient and easy-to-use drain plug
- Body made of plastic
3. Vremi VRM010636N Ice Maker
- Build A Better Beverage: Ditch annoying ice cube trays and clunky freezer ice, and treat yourself to beautiful bullet-shaped cubes with Vremi’s Very Nice Countertop Ice Maker.
- Quick Ice, And Lots Of It: Cool cubes are ready in just 8 to 10 minutes. This slick small kitchen appliance produces a whopping 26 pounds of ice per day, and holds up to 1.5 pounds of ice in its included bucket. Can’t use it all at once? No worries: Store the extra cubes in your freezer till it’s time for your next drink.
- Compact With Killer Design: Measures 9.5 x 12 x 13.5 inches and fits nicely on most countertops, with a 2.2 liter water reservoir that recycles water from melted ice to produce more cubes. Runs at an energy-efficient 120 watts with a quiet cooling compressor.
Apart from the auto-shutdown feature, Vremi also has a drain plug on its underside to allow easy and quick draining of unused water. This ice maker is also made more convenient with the front control panel to check and monitor ice making process. The dashboard has indicator lights to notify users when more water is needed or when the ice bin is full.
Vremi is a little slower, producing 9 bullet-shaped cubes in about 8 to 10 minutes. Also, it offers only a single option of ice size, but that doesn’t matter as much, considering its simple and easy-to-use design.
- High energy efficiency
- FDA and ETL certified
- Sleek stainless steel body
- Compact and portable
- Has only one option of ice size
4. GE Profile Opal Countertop Ice Maker
- NUGGET ICE: Enjoy chewable ice made from compacted ice flakes, perfect for cocktails, sodas and other refreshing beverages. Instead of the traditional hard cubes, enjoy soft nuggets of ice that retain flavors and are easy to chew. Side tank included that produces approximately 3X more ice and easily attaches to the ice maker.
- PORTABLE: Easily move your ice maker as needed. No water hookup required, just plug it into any 120v grounded (standard) electrical outlet and fill the reservoir with water. As ice melts, the water returns to the reservoir, where it will simply be made back into more ice.
- QUICK & POWERFUL: Within only 20 minutes, you’ll be enjoying soft, crunchy ice, just like the ice you love from your favorite restaurant. The Opal produces 24 lbs. of ice per day, and the bin holds 3 lbs. at a time. Always have ice at the ready with an ice maker that automatically powers on when ice is running low.
This ice maker can produce 1 lb of nugget ice in an hour, while its bin can carry up to 1.36 liters, about 3 pounds. It comes with a clear container to monitor how much of the nugget ice remains and offers an easy forward pulling when you need to scoop some ice.
The Bluetooth feature lets you control the ice maker with your smartphone via the FirstBuild app. Also, the app allows you to schedule ice-making and monitor the progress on the minute. GE Profile Opal Countertop Ice Maker is excellent for producing ice for all types of drinks.
- Quick at making nugget ice
- Sleek modern design
- Bluetooth functionality for control with a phone
- Easy to clean
- Simple control panel
- Non-ergonomic buttons
5. Crownful Ice Maker for Countertops
- QUIET & EFFICIENT: CROWNFUL Portable Ice Maker produces up to 9 pieces of ice cubes in just 7 minutes. It has a quiet cooling system that requires low energy to cool. Your party won’t be overshadowed by your ice maker.
- STYLISH & COMPACT DESIGN: This ice maker has a stylish and chic design. Its compact size makes it perfect to set up on your counters or tabletops. It is ideal to use indoors or outdoors for parties and events.
- EASY OPERATION: The intuitive one-button operation makes start-up a snap. It also has a feature that tells you if it needs water, or if ice is ready or if it needs cleaning. All for your convenience!
It can produce up to 26 pounds a day with a fast ice-making process like the expensive options. Crownful makes nine large bullet shape ice cubes in up to 10 minutes. However, the lack of an ice cube size option is a con to its features.
On average, this ice maker can produce up to 80 ice cubes in one hour. The ice maker sits above a 1.8-liter water tank, which is ideal in allowing melting ice to drain back to the reservoir without making a mess. It also has a drain plug on the underside allowing to drain unused water from the ice maker.
- Fast and efficient
- Easy drainage of unused water
- Comes with a BPA-free ice scoop
- Offers an insulated storage bucket to keep ice for longer
- Plastic body construction
What are the Key Elements to Consider when Buying an Ice Maker?
Finding the best ice maker for home bar use can be hectic, considering the many brands available in the market. Bear in mind the following aspects when researching for an ice maker.
Ice makers are available in different sizes, from the small countertop types to the large and bulky models. Consider how many people you’ll be serving and the location where the ice maker will mainly be used when looking at size.
On capacity, go for a machine that offers ample storage with proper insulation so you won’t have to unload regularly to create room for more ice.
How much are you willing to spend? Which features can you let go of to slash down the cost? Don’t sacrifice essential features like speed, volume, and material construction to save a few dollars when making budget decisions.
How fast and often will you require ice? You can choose to make lots of ice in batches ahead of time or constantly produce to meet the demand. Ensure that your choice of ice maker can efficiently produce large volumes in a shorter time. If you don’t have a proper ice storage mechanism, look for a faster ice maker to meet your demands by the hour.
Ice makers made of plastic are the least expensive, which can be less durable, especially if put to constant use or with rough handling. Those made of stainless steel offer durability and an elegant look. If planning to use your ice maker very often, you’re better off getting one with a metallic build. Otherwise, a plastic-made one can serve the purpose.
The best ice maker for home bar use should offer a quick performance to serve a high demand by the hour. Also, it needs to store the ice for longer before melting so you won’t have to drain the reservoir and make more ice constantly. Be sure to stock your home bar with all the necessary bar accessories.