While the classic game of darts used to be held in bars, you can now play it in the comfort of your home. With different dartboard stands, material and styling, it’s easy to find one that suits your taste, budget and space.
Whether you’re a seasoned player or still learning, you can pick from these options if you plan to buy a dartboard that you can place anywhere.
Quick Buying Guide
Plenty of things matter when purchasing a dartboard, and here are the key points you must consider.
Dart stands are commonly made of steel, wood, or aluminum.
When it comes to durability and resilience, a steel dartboard stand is a perfect choice. It’s not lightweight, but it offers reliable balance on flat and grassy surfaces. It will also be able to survive unfavorable weather. It’s less prone to ‘rebound,’ ensuring a stable hit on your mark.
Dartboard cabinets are made of wood, adding a touch of class to any game room. Not only is it used for its aesthetic, but it is also a great choice when talking prices. Production cost is low, and the resulting arcade-style freestanding dartboard is a beauty.
Lightweight and durable, aluminum is popularly used in aircraft technology. It’s rising in popularity due to these qualities and the fact that it’s easy to assemble. The aluminum dartboard stand is highly portable, although you would have to avoid putting it in some environments, such as windy outdoors.
Does it Fold Up?
Several freestanding dartboards are collapsible. Some models can be folded to one-third of their size, making them travel-friendly and portable. If you want to change up your background when playing, a compact stand goes well for you.
However, you can’t have the same convenience with most of the wooden dartboard stands (i.e., dartboard cabinets). If you want a dartboard that is convenient to use, opt for one of the 5 best freestanding dartboards listed in this guide.
Is it Against a Wall?
Depending on the material used, your freestanding dartboard might have to be placed against the wall for better stability. However, most models can stand alone and endure impact when shooting darts.
The advantage is that dartboard stands don’t have to be fixed on the wall. You get the freedom to play a game of darts from anywhere, even the outdoors. Some models will allow you to place weights to make it more resilient to external conditions like wind.
5 Best Freestanding Dartboards
- Free standing dart stand
- robust construction for great stability
- Fully portable and folds in seconds
If you’re looking for winning portability, the Unicorn Dartmate Freestanding Dartboard Stand tops the list. It checks almost everything you need in a dartboard: it is height-adjustable, collapsible, and most of all, it’s reasonably priced.
This model is made of sleek, black steel and has a rock-solid stand. Its weight is just right—not too heavy that you can’t carry it and not too light that it topples easily.
- Sturdy tripod stand
- High-quality construction and material
- Height adjustable and collapsible
- Compatible with other dartboard brands
- Large footprint
- Cannot be put against the wall
- Single telescoping arm can retract due to impact
- UPGRADE YOUR GAME ROOM – Enjoy arcade-style fun at home with the Outlaw Dartboard Cabinet Set. The 15.5-in, regulation-sized dartboard keeps the score for up to 8 players, so everyone can compete.
- 90 WAYS TO WIN – Featuring 29 games with over 90 variations, this set will provide your family and friends with hours of competitive fun. A voice and sound system adds another level of entertainment to this classic game.
- VERSATILITY & CONVENIENCE – Free-standing leg supports or a wall-mount option allows you to put this cabinet anywhere in your home. Two, sturdy storage shelves and integrated dart holders keep your accessories neatly stored when not in use.
If you’re after a sophisticated style, the Hathaway Freestanding Dartboard and Cabinet Set take the spotlight. This attractive furniture is made of sleek wood with a glossy cherry finish. It provides the perfect centerpiece to your game room or space.
This model is electronic, which means that you could play several game modes and types on this one. You can keep track of scores easily with its LCD, so you don’t have to write it down every time you shoot. The unit comes with two sets of soft-tip darts with six spare tips. It also has a sound and voice system, giving you unlimited fun for days.
- Affordable and durable
- 29 games with 90 variations
- Base stabilizer keeps it well-supported and upright
- Automatic tracking of scores
- Classy aesthetic that looks great as a centerpiece
- Darts and board have an average build quality
- Color finish in actuality is different from the photo
- All New Leaderboard is an online global ranking system based on your individual skill level by tracking your Marks Per Rounds or Points Per Dart. You can test your skills and get ranked by seeing your name or nickname displayed on all Spider Series dart games and on the mobile app.
- Test your skills by playing the built-in computer known as Mark Dart included in the 2000 series. Play against Mark at four different levels 1-Amateur to 4- Master. Mark can adjust to your style of play or teach you to be a better dart player. Play up to 3 players and have Mark be the fourth.
- Choice of Over 40 Game Options: Including 6 types of X01 with all standard Opening and Closing options, 6 different variants of Cricket, 8 nonstandard fun games based on the ones found on the commercial Galaxy 3 dart game, built in camera that points directly at the throw line. For use with The Leaderboard.
With a bit of a futuristic touch to it, the Spider 360 2000 Series Home Commercial Grade Dart Board is a delight to the eyes. The standard 15-inch target area is accentuated with LED lights that make it visible even when playing in a dimly lit room. It comes with more than 40 game options and a wide flatscreen monitor.
This model is a top choice for people who want an electronic soft-tip dartboard. Stay competitive and be rewarded for doing well by topping the global online leaderboard. You can also play with a computer, Mark Dart, and set the difficulty level to practice your skills.
- Plenty of game modes to choose from
- Online feature and mobile app
- Play versus computer
- Visible display with flatscreen monitor
- Excellent arcade design
- Fairly expensive
- Bulky and not ideal for tiny spaces
- Darts have an unusual design
- Heavy-duty Dartboard stand made from lightweight steel
- The Darts Master allows you to play darts anywhere
- No need to fix your Dartboard to the wall
One of the simplest yet most functional on this list is the Darts Master Dartboard Stand. It’s a lightweight option, making it very easy to carry. Made of quality steel, this model is both durable and portable.
The Darts Master freestanding dartboard includes a bracket that makes it compatible with most bristle dartboards. It’s an uncomplicated piece of dart equipment that is easy to setup. However, it tends to shake on impact, given that its tripod stand isn’t as thick as you want it to be.
- Best value for money
- Lightweight and collapsible
- Versatile and easy to carry
- Easy to knock over
- Less stable and shakes on impact
- Overall Dimensions: 24"W x 13"D x 85"H
- Features 8-player cricket with 24 games and 132 options, including 5 Cricket games, and an 8-player score display
- Dartboard has a regulation 15.5" target area as well as tournament spider and trademarked tournament colors
You will feel like a pro dart player when you have the Arachnid Cricket Pro 650 Tournament-Graded Dartboard. This unit is one of the most preferred freestanding dartboards in the market because it is regulation-sized without being heavy on the pocket.
This model offers 24 games and amazing 132-option variations. It also has a voice prompt, single-play option, and sleep mode, making this feature-packed dartboard a shoo-in for this list. However, you have to secure it to the wall because it tends to be flimsy.
- Complete set includes mounting equipment and dart gear
- Lightweight and space-saving
- Affordable alternative to expensive arcade machines
- Flimsy particle board construction
- Easy to topple over if not fastened to the wall
- Needs reinforcement hinges and bolts
Freestanding dartboards have several unique qualities that appeal to different tastes. If you want to develop your dart skills, having a dartboard at home can help you practice as much as you want. Whether it’s classic or electronic, steel or wooden, what matters is you pick the model that suits your budget and style.