Comfort is always a top priority in any self-respecting man cave and having your very own home bar is nothing short of comfort. However, to bring that authentic pub experience right into your home, you need to invest in a quality bar stool.
When you have your friends over and they are enjoying a few cold beers at your home bar, the focal point of your man cave, you want to make sure you have a nice, comfortable place where your buddies can sit. If you want to skip all of the details then our top pick is the Armen Living London bar stool.
Investing in a set of quality bar stools is one nice way of creating a comfortable area where your friends can relax and enjoy the best that your home bar has to offer. Aside from just comfort, these tools can also enhance the appearance of your man cave as they help complete that authentic bar look.
Generally, man cave bar stools come in a range of styles, shapes and sizes. Whether you want a fully rustic feel, a completely modern style or an old school feel, the market is filled will all kinds of bar stools in many complementary styles that can perfectly contrast your man cave setting.
To help you narrow down the list, we’ve gone through a wide number of options and selected the best 5 stools that can definitely add a final touch to your man cave bar. Below we’ve included a brief review of each option in order to give you a much better perspective about what each has to offer. So, without further ado, let’s get started.
Selecting Man Cave Bar Stools
With so many different types of bar stools available in the market, it can be a little bit confusing determining which one is right for your fortress. To clear the air, here are few things you need to know.
Counter stools vs bar stools, what’s the difference?
One of the biggest hurdles when it comes to selecting bar stools is differentiating between a counter stool and a bar stool. What constitutes either option and which one should you go with?
In general, the difference between the two kinds of stools is in their heights. Bar stools are usually around 30 to 36 inches tall, that is, from the top of the seat to the ground. They are ideal for bar tops that are around 40 to 46 inches from the ground. Their height allows you to seat comfortably at a high counter without bumping your knees on the bottom.
On the other end, the overall height of counter stools tend to be a little bit lower. Most models usually range between 24 to 29 inches in height with a low center of gravity compared to bar stools.
The short height of these counter stools makes them ideal for bar tops that are around 35 to 40 inches from the ground as they facilitate a better range of movement when seated as opposed to bar stools.
In other words, you can go with either option depending on the height of your bar. Basically, both stools are often similar design-wise, especially in terms of qualities and appearance. Therefore, your choice will mainly be based on the height of your counter top.
However, whichever option you pick, it’s advisable that you ensure that there will be a 10-inch gap between the top of the stool and the counter so that your guests can feel comfortable when seated and when standing up from the stool.
Backless or backed?
Once you have established what bar stool you want and the right height for your bar top, the next thing you should consider is whether to get a stool that has a comfortable backing or one that’s backless.
In this case, your taste and style should come in to play. If your man cave setting consists of an overall calm theme such as a hunter, golf or tennis theme, then you need a stool that will put your guests at comfort and ease. Here, a bar stool with backing might be a good option.
If your man cave features a music, sport or even motor related theme, then you should go with backless bar stools so that your friends are able to lean backwards or forward when cheering or enjoying the events going on.
Swivel or Stationary?
Another huge factor you need to determine when looking for man cave bar stools is whether or not they should be stationary or have swivel capability. Deciding which type best suits your setting will largely be dictated by the overall theme and size of your man cave.
If your man cave is quite large, then it’s only right that your guests should have the ability to turn and see whatever is going on or whoever is talking. Therefore, you need to go with swivel bar stools so that the people you host are able to quickly adjust to the direction of the speaker.
A swivel bar stool would also be ideal if your bar set up is perpendicular to the entertainment area or the TV. You will be able to grab your drink and turn to see the TV without having to miss too much of whatever show, movie or game you have on.
If you have a smaller man cave, then your guests are typically going to face one general direction compared to seating. Therefore, stationery bar stools would be a much better option.
Modern or a rustic design?
Should you go with the old, wooden, rustic look or the metal stools to give your man cave a more modern feel? Or you just don’t care as long as the stools fit your overall theme?
These indeed are not light questions because everything about your man cave should portray your personality. For instance, if your overall theme depicts anything in the geek or comic field, then a more modern looking stool would be ideal.
Rustic look might go well with a theme that’s related to the supernatural or fantasy like wizardry or witchcraft. On the other side, hunter, hockey or even baseball themes often look much better with wooden stools.
In general, you want to make sure you choose stools that will complement the overall theme of your man cave not clash with it. Although there is no specific manual for starting a man cave stool setup, you need to consider some of the things we’ve highlighted above including the height of the stool and the material used to make it.
With that said, here are our top 5 picks.
Our #1 Pick
- Features walnut veneer and a clean chrome base. Product Dimensions: 20"W x 19"D x 37-46"H SH: 24-33 inches
- Metal frame assures longevity and dependable design
- 360-degree swivel seat function allows for a wide range of user mobility
With its black faux leather seat accented by a walnut vaneer shell and set upon a stunning chrome metal column and base, this Armen Living London bar stool is nothing else but a pure show of style and class.
It’s sleek, with a very beautiful and striking design that gives off a retro yet futuristic feel that’s with no doubt very impressive. But that’s not all. Both the back and the seat are well padded and it can swivel. It offers an exceptional degree of comfort plus the footrest along the chrome column makes it even more comfortable.
In short, the Armen Living London is a luxury bar stool with excellent build quality and striking design. If you are looking for something with more of an executive level feel to it, something that will no doubt capture your guests’ attention, then this it.
It’s an ideal option for a man cave with a modern theme coupled up with a stylish home bar.
Our #2 Pick
- Ready to assemble; Backrest Height is 14 1/2-Inch; Seat Diameter is 16-Inch
- 360 degree steel ball bearing swivel plate
- Slightly flared legs for stable level seating
If you are looking for that authentic old school pub feel, then the Boraa 8829 Augusta bar stool might just be the right option for you. From its elegant design to the sturdy construction made up of the finest materials, this stool simply has a timeless appeal with unshowy elegance that can blend in well with almost any man cave theme.
With the dark wood frame and the thick padded seat, this stool is also made to provide nothing short of comfort when sitting on it. The whole construction is very sturdy and you can even swivel. In other words, if you want to transform your man cave bar to a pace of elegance, culture and luxury, then this is another great option to consider.
The rich wooden construction combined with the black leather upholstery would fit in well with almost any man cave theme even more perfectly with a rich wooden bar set.
Our #3 Pick
- Includes: Two (2) counter stools Materials: Bonded leather, hardwood Color: Brown Features bronze studs No assembly required Dimensions: 26.20 inches high x 12.4 inches wide x 18.50 inches deep
Like the other two stools above, the design of this Jaeden counter stool is all about the regal upmarket style. Its classic yet simple look gives off sheer elegance that quickly catches the eye.
The stool features a curved leather seat that’s well-padded and the whole structure is quite solid. If you want elegance as well as something sturdy that won’t cost a fortune, then the Jaeden counter stool is perfect choice. The fact that’s backless make it ideal for man caves with sport related theme or artistic style.
Our #4 Pick
- The number one thing people notice about a bar stool is its style and this one makes a great impression. The rich walnut finish, black vinyl upholstery and shiny chrome give this swivel seat barstool an upscale eye-catching look everyone will love
- Height adjustable seat with gas lift goes from bar to counter height with the pull of a lever
- Anti-Skid Floor Protection: Sturdy pedestal base holds up to 330 pounds and features an embedded plastic ring that prevents skidding and protects flooring from damage
The Flash furniture bar stool is a unique stylistic piece that flaunts a more modern elegance that’s depicted in its organic sense of comfort and style. The frame of the seat is a durable walnut finished wood while the back and the seat itself consist of 2 inches of CA117 fire retardant foam padding and upholstered in black vinyl.
The seat and the back are both distinctly comfortable while the strong chrome column keep the whole unit quite stable when you’ve sat down. The stool can swivel and you can also easily adjust its height using the chromed hydraulic lift.
All in all, the Flash furniture bar stool is a classy stool, one that would match well with any contemporary or traditional man cave theme. The chrome base comes embedded with a plastic ring so as to protect the floor by facilitating a smooth sliding when you move the stool.
Our #5 Pick
- PUB HEIGHT BAR STOOL SET: Bring an effortlessly trendy look into your kitchen or dining decor with this tall barstool chair. Designed in rich brown and black, it's an easy match for most homes
- CASUAL SEATING: Chair frame is made of metal with a veneered plank surface made of wood and engineered wood. Adjustable foot levelers reinforce stability
- RUSTIC INDUSTRIAL STYLE: This bar stool is rustic in feel with modern appeal. The sculptural metal legs are a cool industrial touch and the rustic wood finish seat is beautifully weathered
For those with industrial-themed man caves, the most rugged, tough and manly of styles, these Ashley furniture bar stools are definitely the right option for you. They are very rustic and tough with a simple look.
They are quite comfortable despite the veneered plank seat which is made solely of wood. However, sitting on these stools for long can be a bit uncomfortable. Nonetheless, they are well made and the legs even have adjustable screws at the end to allow for easy adjustment in case of uneven floor.
8 Quick Tips to Help you Buy a Bar Stool
- Wood bar stools come in three heights to fit your bar: 24 inch counter height, 30 inch bar height and 34 inch extra tall
- Measure your counter or table before buying any wood bar stool to ensure correct height (Allow 10-13 inches between the stool seat and the underside of the table)
- If the underside of your table or counter is between 35-37 inches from the floor, order a counter height wood bar stool (24-26 inches from the floor to the top of the seat)
- If the underside of your table or counter is between 41-43 inches from the floor, order a bar height wood bar stool (29-31 inches from the floor to the top of the seat)
- If the underside of your table or counter is between 44-47 inches from the floor, order an extra tall wood bar stool (33-35 inches from the floor to the top of the seat)
- “How many bar stools do I need?” The standard rule is to allow 26-30 inches between the centers of each bar stool seat (A stool that swivels or one with arms often requires 28-32 inches between the centers of each seat)
- Durable fabric, including leather, vinyl and micro fiber, is a good idea if you will be using a wood bar stool near food and beverages (We also recommend using DCS Fabric Protection)
- Commercial grade wood bar stools are designed to handle excessive use
It’s essential to invest in a set of stools that will make a statement in your man cave. A quality bar stool set will not only enhance the comfort level of your guests, but will also help complete and bring out that authentic bar experience. Therefore, when making your decision, make sure that you pick stools that will complement the overall theme of your man cave and say who you are.
Now with your new bar stools you’ll be able to kick back and pour those beers for all of your buddies.
Cheers to that!